tftp config problems

Steve Carter scarter at pobox.com
Thu Nov 3 21:59:16 UTC 2005

I have a config file on a TFTP server that I want to upload into the
running config on a Cisco Cat5 running IOS:

switch#sh ver
Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software IOS (tm) C3750 Software
(C3750-I9-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1c, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

but when I run the following command:

$ /usr/local/libexec/rancid/clogin -c 'conf n;host;199.199.199.199;switch-confg;;wr' switch
switch
spawn telnet switch
Trying 199.199.199.198...
Connected to switch
Escape character is '^]'.

Username: scarter
Password:

switch#
switch#term length 0
switch#conf n

Error: TIMEOUT reached
$

obviously, I can paste the commands in my config file and I can manually
run the 'conf n' commands at the switch prompt.  I want to do this so I
can update a large number of devices by embedding these commands into a
shell script.

Any ideas?

-Steve