write mem if running-config and startup-config are different?

Matt Wilson mwilson at northwestern.edu
Mon May 16 14:30:35 UTC 2005

We would like to catch and remedy situations where we have altered a
switch's running-config, but then forget to write mem (weeks later,
the switch reboots due to power outage, and suddenly vlans aren't
working, etc).

Is anyone using rancid to notice that running-config and
startup-config are different, and if so, issue a write mem command?
(or something else to address such an issue?)  Would you be willing
to share what you've done?

Matt Wilson <mwilson at northwestern.edu>
Systems Engineer, IT Telecomm and Network Services
Northwestern University