clogin vulnerable to MITM attack with ssh host keys

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Fri Jun 10 15:34:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:59:01AM +0000, john heasley wrote:
> I'm not sure what ssh (or possibly an ssh.conf option) you are using, but
> mine fails when the key changes, here:
>
>         -re "HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED.* \(yes\/no\)\?"   {
>             send "no\r"
>             send_user "\nError: The host key for $router has changed.  Update the SSH known_hosts file accordingly.\n"
>             return 1 }
>         -re "Offending key for .* \(yes\/no\)\?"   {
>             send "no\r"
>             send_user "\nError: host key mismatch for $router.  Update the SSH known_hosts file accordingly.\n"
>             return 1 }

Well, that's a good question.  When the PIX failover happens, wouldn't you
see a changed key rather than the "I don't have keys for this host" condition
that I was complaining about at the beginning of this thread?  My initial
thoughts was that the "accept host key if you don't already have one"
code in RANCID was for making the initial setup go smoother.