rancid - "show running-config" and "write term"

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Mon Jun 6 15:51:48 UTC 2005

Both "show running-config" and "write term" are in Rancid's command
list for things to execute on Ciscos.  How old does your IOS have to
be for "show running-config" not to be supported?

I'm asking because on a 7200 with a complex ATM config, "show running-config"
can take 30 seconds or more to complete.  It seems like a waste of the
poor little router's CPU to do that twice, and then throw away the results
of the second config dump.

Any thoughts on how we could tell Rancid not to use both commands?  I can
think of two possibilities:

* add an option to cloginrc for hosts that need "write term", since I
suspect that they are few and far between these days.  clogin would
otherwise ignore "write term" in the command list.

* teach clogin how to parse the output of "show running-config" to detect
that it produced enough output to be considered successful.  Then ignore
"write term" and provide fake output for it back to Rancid since Rancid
will just ignore it anyway.