CVS checkout problems with cvsweb

Netmanager netmanager at biola.edu
Sat Jul 30 23:45:33 UTC 2005

Hello All,

I've set up RANCID before with no problems, but I'm
setting it up on a new box with the latest OS version (OS
X 10.4), and it is retrieving configs, but cvsweb gives
the following error when I click the "download" link to
 retrive the config.

-------------
Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs [checkout
aborted]: Absolute module reference invalid:
`/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com'
Check whether the directory
/opt/local/var/rancid/CVS/CVSROOT exists and the script
has write-access to the CVSROOT/history file if it exists.
The script needs to place lock files in the directory the
file is in as well.
-------------

CVS and CVS/CVSROOT exists, I changed permissions and file
ownership but nothing.  I'm puzzled that it seems to say
`/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com' is an
"absolute module reference".  The correct absolute path is
contained in the html link, pasted here:

http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/test/configs/cisco-core-6500-ssl.mycompany.com?rev=1.2&content-type=text/plain

My cvsweb.conf has:

%CVSROOT = (
             'Development' => '/opt/local/var/rancid/CVS'
             );

I've poked around but I don't know how to troubleshoot the
problem.  Can someone tell me where to look for the
trouble?

Mark