Maximum Config Sizes

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Wed Jul 6 22:38:11 UTC 2005

Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 05:05:55PM -0400, Ed Ravin:
> On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 09:07:19PM +0100, Jee Kay wrote:
> > Is there a limit for config sizes that RANCID will handle? I have a
> > NetScreen with a config in the silly numbers, and RANCID only seems to
> > be capturing the first 1600 or so lines of it. Are there any timeouts
> > or anything like that which might cause this?
>
> By default, nrancid calls nlogin with a timeout of 90 seconds.  If that's
> not long enough for your NetScreen to dump its config, then you won't
> get the whole file.

the timeout applies to an expect clause.  that is, when an expect {}
begins, if $timeo seconds elapse before expect matches something, it
will return a timeout.  each match or exp_continue resets the timers.

if there is some part of the configuration that takes a _long_ time to
complete, ie: the output pauses for an extended period, then increasing
the timeout will help.

any clues in the logs?