Rancid crashing routers/remove commands

Austin Schutz tex at off.org
Thu Dec 29 20:38:28 UTC 2005

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 03:30:16PM -0500, Andrew Partan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 09:48:01AM +0200, Kim Onnel wrote:
> > I mean could it be that because of term length 0 and than alot of commands
> > will for example increase the VTY proecss and causes router crash
>
> The only time I've ever seen rancid crash a router is when the
> router was having serious s/w problems & running some command (by
> rancid or anyone) was enough to trigger the bug.
>
> If you are having router crashes, the problem is with the router,
> not with rancid.  All rancid does is run commands like any ordinary
> user.  And if an ordinary user can crash the router, you hare having
> problems with the router.
>
> I would suspect 'term len 30' to cause a router more problems than
> 'term len 0' as the router has to buffer or stall the output of the
> commands.

	We've had problems here which the vendor "suspects" is due to
rancid rapid firing off commands during polling. I've done some ugly hack
work here to have rancid skip some commands for given platforms depending
on environment variable settings.
	What might be slightly less ugly would be to have an option to clogin
to set a delay between execution of commands. That might give the garbage
collection (referring to mem mgmt, not the overall OS here) a chance to
catch up between commands.

	Austin