Out of band access to devices?

Håkan Lindholm hakan at staff.spray.se
Wed Aug 17 08:34:16 UTC 2005

Andrew Pollock wrote:

> So the only way of managing the devices is via SSHing to the Cyclades
> and getting on the console port. We can SSH directly to a specific
> port of the Cyclades, and after authenticating, get on the console
> attached to that port, and disconnect by way of the standard SSH
> disconnect break sequence when we're done.

If you setup "all.ipno" in pslave.conf, you can even get unique IP addresses for each serial port.  Build your own hosts file and you can make it look like in-band access..

I haven't done it myself, but seems straight forward (knock knock) in the docs..

> I'm wondering if RANCID has evolved over the last nearly 2 years to
> include such out of band access to devices, or if it's much of a
> muchness still?

You mean to use a port number on the TS instead of IP address.  Maybe you don't need it after all...

/H