Rancid SVN Branch

Justin Grote justin at grote.name
Sun Oct 24 19:31:44 UTC 2004

Greetings,

I've been a user of rancid for a few years now and absolutely love it. When I show colleagues a simple ViewCVS webpage that tracks the entire configuration of the network, they all want it installed in their network.

I'm planning to branch version 2.3.1 to add an option to store configurations in Subversion as opposed to CVS.

Subversion is meant as a replacement for CVS and fixes a lot of annoyances with CVS while adding some very compelling features, the most compelling of which is that the repository is tracked by a global revision number, as opposed to individual revision numbers for all files. That means that you can track the "state" of your network, so you can see how the network looked at revision 1415 or how it looked on 09/25/04 (I know the second part is possible in CVS, but it's much cleaner in SVN).

It also allows version tracking on directories and easy moving and renaming of files while preserving the history, which has been a pain for me with rancid when a company wants to change its structure.

More information about subversion is at http://subversion.tigris.org and the excellent free book "Version Control with Subversion" at http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

If anyone is interested in RancidSVN (as I'm tenatively calling the branch) let me know and I'll give you access to my Subversion repository. Maybe if I keep it unintrusive enough the original authors might see fit to merge the SVN changes back so they become part of the original RANCID (as I said, I'm writing it so that it is a non-default option).

Justin Grote
Network Architect
JWG Networks
Email: nospam-justin at grote.name (remove nospam-)