integration of security enhancement patch

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Jan 9 21:41:00 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Mohacsi Janos wrote:

> I would like to start with the broader view. I think CVS of rancid should
> reflect the stable and working configuration. I am usually not interested
> in the transient state of the router. In my opinion the running config is
> only interesting if:
>
> - You are actually configuring something
> - You are running a certain test, - the result are not sure.

Or someone makes changes and neglects to write mem.  There are other odd
(beneficial) side effects of having rancid get the running config.

Cisco as5200's, when low on memory, show a partial running config.  The
rancid email serves as an early warning system, telling us it's time to
reboot an as5200.

> So my vote would be default to startup config, and possible option for
> running config.

I'd vote the other way :)
Keep it as is, and maybe make it an easily configured option to look at
startup configs.

 Atlantic Net                |