catos on cat5500 issues

Jason Ornstein jason.ornstein at sybase.com
Thu Feb 19 01:10:21 UTC 2004

I've just started to play with Rancid and am still learning on how
to do the tuning part of it.  The issue that I'm currently having
appears to have been around for awhile based on past email on this
list, but I didn't see a solution posted, so I thought I'd bring it
up again.

This is using the rancid 2.2.2 against a Cisco Catalyst 5500 running
CatOS 6.3.5.

The first issue is that it appears that some of the commands from
clogin aren't being sent when cat5rancid is being run.  Part of
the diff that is sent to me is:

+ 2004 Feb 18 16:06:58 MST -07:00 %PAGP-5-PORTFROMSTP:Port 11/15 left
bridge port 11/15

So, while rancid was grabbing the config, someone disconnected their
machine and it got logged to the telnet session.  From clogin, around
line 751 there is this section of code:

        # If the prompt is (enable), then we are on a switch and the
        # command is "set length 0"; otherwise its "term length
        # 0".
        if [ regexp -- ".*> .*enable" "$prompt" ] {
            send "set length 0\r"
            send "set logging session disable\r"

And when I run 'cat5rancid -d boulder-cat3' and look at the raw file,
I never see the second line above being output.

It could be that this section of code is never being hit as I'm not
sure if the $do_script is valid coming right above this section of
code.

It could be taht the second logging line needs to be inserted in the
run_commands code at line 487.  Has anyone done this or does it break
other platforms?

And the second, and maybe easier issue, is that after people disconnect
from the switch other lines in the config change which cause email to be
sent.  Some of those lines would look like this in the diff output:

- set spantree portcost
  2/1,2/3,2/5,2/11,2/14,2/16-19,2/21,2/26-27,2/34,2/38,2/40-42,2/46-48
  200000 mst
+ set spantree portcost
  2/1-2,2/4,2/6-10,2/12-13,2/15,2/20,2/22-25,2/28-33,2/35-37,2/39,2/43-45
  2000000 mst

This is on the same Catalyst above.  Is there a way to filter this not
being sent and/or being collected as a diff?

Thanks.

-jason ornstein