A few questions with 2.3.1

joshua sahala jejs+rancid at sahala.org
Thu Aug 19 19:55:33 UTC 2004

On (19/08/04 13:59), Brian Wilson wrote:
[cut]

> First, many of our devices resolve in DNS to multiple IP addresses
> (internal & external firewall addresses), thus, this tends to cause
> problems with rancid and ssh.  For instance:

[cut]

> Anyone else have any suggestions?

i personally would have a management name in dns (or /etc/hosts) for
each device, then you would only have one address to resolve

ex: mgmt-myrouter.mydomain

or create a subdomain for you management addresses

ex: myrouter.mgmt.mydomain

as to your other questions, i haven't encountered a need to do either.
my passwords are complex and ugly, but stay with a few 'standard'
special characters.  the only user(s) that have access to the rancid
account/directories are the admins who have enable rights, and the
rancid host is secured and monitored (like the rest of the servers)

/joshua
fools.
	- Douglas Adams -