clogin to reverse telnet on console

Mike Ethridge mike at garibaldi0.com
Fri May 16 19:50:16 UTC 2003

At 11:24 AM 5/16/2003 -0700, john heasley wrote:
>Wed, May 14, 2003 at 09:06:18PM -0700, Mike Ethridge:
> > Greetings all.  I have a cisco 3640 with three NM-32A's acting as a
> > terminal server for several other routers and switches.  One in particular
> > is my external Internet router.  Now I'm trying to add the Internet router
> > to rancid, but since I can't telnet net to it, I can only access it's
> > console via reverse telnet to the terminal server, it's been very
> difficult.
> >
> > What is happening is when you telnet to the terminal server, you have to
> > press enter at least once before you get the console login prompt from the
> > Internet router.  So, clogin doesn't get the typical telnet login
> prompt so
> > it times out.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to get this working?
> >
> > --ME
>
>thought about this for a while.  clogin could be changed to permit a
>pre-login-sequence command via the .cloginrc, eg: "\r".  i can see
>this being useful for a few platforms.
>
>but, is it possible to define a chat-script that sends \r when the
>async line is opened or connected?

John,

You and I are on the same thought path here.  I tried all the various
combinations of  chat-scripts and they are all designed to work with a
modem or something sending the data to the serial port not from it once a
connection has been received.  So, it looks like adding the "\r" will
probably be the answer.  However, if there is anyone out there that has
more info on the chat-scripts, they might know of a way to do this.  I just
couldn't figure it out.

--ME