Cloginvs dollar signs

Gee-clough, Aaron (NIH/CIT) geecla at mail.nih.gov
Tue Dec 30 15:48:00 UTC 2003

Hello, all.
	I've been working on setting up Rancid, but I've run into a little
problem...it looks like a bit of error-checking in the clogin script or in
TCL itself is munging my logins, but I'm not sure how to fix it.  The
scenario:
	One of the logins I'm supposed to use for rancid has a dollar sign
in its password.  This is expanded to a variable by TCL, unless I escape it.
But, when I try to escape out the dollar sign (ie, putting in \$ instead of
just the $ in the password line in cloginrc) the whole password gets braces
{} added around it, which makes the password invalid.  (but the \$ is
replaced with $, so it's close.)   If I pre-emptively add braces (or
quotes), they don't get removed before being used as a password, once again
leading to an invalid password.  (but then I don't need to escape out the
dollar sign.)

I've been testing this by changing the username to be the same as the
password in cloginrc, and seeing what username it tries to login in as
(since I can't see the password....the login is via ssh).

I'd love to just do away with the dollar sign, but I'm not the one who
decides the password or username for this account, and this may come up
again anyway.  Is there a way to properly escape out the dollar sign that
I'm missing?  I tried googling for this, but I haven't found anything
yet...of course, I could be searching for the wrong thing.

Thanks for any help.

Aaron