telnet hanging

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Oct 18 14:33:23 UTC 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 jlewis at lewis.org wrote:

> Just upgrading expect and tcl to Red Hat 7.3's rpms didn't solve the
> problem.  I'm currently running
>
> expect-5.32.2-67
> tcl-8.3.3-67
> kernel-2.4.9-13
>
> Tomorrow, I'll try upgrading to kernel-2.4.18-10 and see if it makes a
> difference.  If not, I guess I'll try rebuilding an expect rpm with the
> suggested patch.

The kernel upgrade didn't help either.  I ended up rebuilding the tcltk
src.rpm for Red Hat 7.2 with the suggested one line patch, and that seems
to have solved the telnet hanging problem.

Now I have another odd one that I hope isn't a FAQ.  I've added a bunch of
cisco access-servers (5200's, 5300's, and a 5800) to my rancid setup, and
for some reason, these ciscos seem to vary the number of !'s separating
sections of the config from one 'write term' to the next even though
nobody has logged in and made changes to the config.

So I'm constantly being emailed diffs like:

  ip classless
  ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 209.208.16.1
  no ip http server
  !
+ !
  access-list 20 permit ...
  access-list 20 permit ...
  access-list 20 permit ...
  access-list 20 deny   any

followed by

  ip classless
  ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 209.208.16.1
  no ip http server
  !
- !
  access-list 20 permit ...
  access-list 20 permit ...
  access-list 20 permit ...
  access-list 20 deny   any

Obviously, this would appear to be more of a cisco problem than a rancid
one, but I suspect someone else must have run into this and wonder if
anyone's come up with a fix or knows how to get the cisco's to stop doing
this.

 Atlantic Net                |