rancid hangs due to expect, ssh, or cisco?

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Fri Dec 27 17:44:47 UTC 2002

Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 10:33:59AM -0600, Zhang, Anchi:
> The hang is much longer than 45 seconds:
>
> log2% date; clogin -c "sho run" rri2uunet>/dev/null; date
> Thu Dec 26 10:02:58 CST 2002
> Thu Dec 26 10:13:01 CST 2002
>
> I changed the line to "set timeout 10" in clogin but noticed no difference
> in the hang duration.

see the -t option.

> The lines below added to ACL "ip access-list extended ingress" to make it
> 181 lines:
>
>  permit esp any host 158.81.250.11
>  permit udp any host 158.81.250.11 eq 10000
>  permit udp any host 158.81.250.11 eq isakmp
>
> I can email you the whole ACL in private if you wish to see it.
>
> What is even more strange is the fact that I have three edge routers each
> with the identical ACLs and adding the three lines to the other two routes
> did not affect Rancid's access to them.
>
> ssh or telnet access without clogin presents no problem.  clogin via ssh is
> successful all the time on many routers, once a while on some routers, and
> never on a few others.

is it possible that the version of ios running on those suspect routers
has a bug related to this ACL?  trying reproducing the problem with the
ACL removed.

otherwise, i'm at a loss.  perhaps you can send a successful rancid
collection from one of the misbehaving routers to me directly.