customize commands

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Aug 29 16:07:07 UTC 2002

Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:42:08AM -0400, Jay Borkenhagen:
> >> Forgive the newbie. Implementation and general satisfaction meets
> >> expectations.... However, I would like to know how to customize the
> >> commmands set used by do-diffs. (I attempted to sort through
> >> archives, but ugh.)
>
> heas> there isnt such a facility built-in at the moment.  we have been
> heas> discussing how to add this though.  so, its coming at some
> heas> point.
>
> As someone who just upgraded to rancid-2.2.2 thereby unintentionally
> clobbering my modifications to bin/rancid's list of router commands of
> interest, let me voice my support for such a facility.  I see that
> "make install" preserved my modified bin/env file with the new one
> ending up in bin/env.new -- it would be terrific if the command set
> was in a file which would be similarly preserved across an upgrade.

the idea we've been kicking around is to have a file (a default file
included with the dist and perhaps a "file.local") which defines a
device "type".

for a given type, you could set which commands you wanted collected and
what function (including home-grown external scripts) to use to filter
the output.  this "type" is then used as the type in the router.db file,
eg: cisco or cisco_osr, where cisco_sla might have additional (or
fewer) commands for your OSRs.