BGP TTL

Chris Whyte cwhyte at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 22 21:02:17 UTC 2002

> 'course, in this world of closest-exit inter-domain routing,
> one can with certainty assign new community values on ingress
> and get a reasonable idea of geographic distribution of data
> sources on the peers network.  Of course, this is assuming
> MED brokenness or other policy isn't skewing "good ole
> closest-exit" path selection.
>
> Not only would conflicting assignments be an issue, but I'm
> guessing that with the number of available paths impacting
> Adj-RIB-In size today, a default "additive" community policy
> would result in a notable impact in memory utilization.

Yes, but not all of us are tier-1s, and probably (hopefully?) never will
be, so keep in mind that there are some of us out there who don't have
>1.5M paths and 'additive' is a perfectly fine thing to do in our
network today and the foreseeable future.

> The work we're seeing from lots of folks is attempting to scope
> advertisement of "distant" policy for this and other reasons,
> not multiply it.

I don't think a peer advertising someone like me communities multiplies
the problem but then maybe I don't thoroughly understand the problem.
Again, there are many of us out there who aren't transit free and,
therefore, have slightly different requirements for traffic and
performance analysis. I believe communities can help us in gathering
that information.

Thanks,

Chris