BGP TTL

Danny McPherson danny at tcb.net
Fri Mar 22 04:31:34 UTC 2002

'course, in this world of closest-exit inter-domain routing,
one can with certainty assign new community values on ingress
and get a reasonable idea of geographic distribution of data
sources on the peers network.  Of course, this is assuming
MED brokenness or other policy isn't skewing "good ole
closest-exit" path selection.

Not only would conflicting assignments be an issue, but I'm
guessing that with the number of available paths impacting
Adj-RIB-In size today, a default "additive" community policy
would result in a notable impact in memory utilization.

The work we're seeing from lots of folks is attempting to scope
advertisement of "distant" policy for this and other reasons,
not multiply it.

-danny