BGP TTL

Chris Whyte cwhyte at microsoft.com
Fri Mar 22 03:51:56 UTC 2002

> On Wednesday, March 20, 2002, at 06:27 , john heasley wrote:
>
> > do folks (teir-1s) actually leak customer initiated/added
> communities
> > through to their peers?  any actually listen to communities
> from their
> > peers?
>
> 6461 doesn't, if you're collecting data points (no to both).

This is very true of course but I can see value in receiving communities
from peers too. For example, one might want to use a tool that can
provide you with the amount of traffic destined for a specific community
that represents a geography in your peer's network. As tools develop in
this area, which they are, I can see communities being useful to get
other traffic or performance-related data.

Thanks,

Chris