BGP TTL

Geoff Huston gih at telstra.net
Thu Mar 21 01:59:34 UTC 2002

Joe Abley wrote:

>I like the TTL idea; Ben Black scribbled something similar on the back of
>an envelope after the IDR meeting in Minneapolis last time. But I don't
>think it's going to be useful while the network is so centralised on a
>relatively dense central mesh of ASes.

I've been looking at this AS distribution by AS path length for some months now
(http://www.potaroo.net/bgp2/1221/bgp-pasbyhop-vector.html) is an example,
and the observation is that its getting shorter, not longer. The dense,
central mesh appears to be getting denser.

(a presentation that includes some observations on this is at
http://www.potaroo.net/papers/bgp/bgp-2001.pdf)

Geoff