BGP TTL

matthew.ford at bt.com matthew.ford at bt.com
Wed Mar 20 20:47:13 UTC 2002

> However even a setting of (say) 10 would limit the count-to-infinity
> problem - see, e.g.: the current 6bone & their *very* long AS paths.
> [As the 6bone today is mostly full of mutual-transit peerings, you
> can get some very long count-to-infinity paths.]

Just as an aside: the huge AS-paths were thought to be an implementation
bug (discussed on 6bone at isi.edu list) which generates bogus routes.  I
believe the culprit was already found and fixed, but then those routes
re-appeared again, so probably not..

=> which makes me think that the supposed BGP withdrawal bug is a
red-herring and the problem is in fact the count-to-infinity behaviour as
discussed in ptomaine. Time to start filtering on the 6bone...

-- Mat.