BGP TTL

Geoff Huston gih at telstra.net
Wed Mar 20 20:00:31 UTC 2002

This has been a concept that has floated round for some time as a way of
limiting scope for some fine-grained advertisements.

The issue is that the network itself is quite dense (route-views sees an
average AS path length of between 3 and 4.5 AS hops for each of the
route-views peers) and the average AS path length for address prefixes is
noted to be between 2.5 and 3.5 AS hops.

The question for me is whether a TTL has any practical scope limitation in
such a richly interconnected environment.

Geoff