BGP TTL

Andrew Partan post-ptomaine at partan.com
Wed Mar 20 19:38:14 UTC 2002

A brief discussion over lunch brought up the idea of adding a BGP
attribute - a TTL - to limit how far (by AS count) a route will
propogate.

I.e.: set TTL to 1 and your route only goes to your neighbors.
Set TTL to 2 and it only goes to your neighbors and their neighbors.

It might also help to limit the BGP ASPATH count-to-infinity problem
when you withdraw a route (as you will only count to the TTL).

This may not be useful in all cases but I suspect that it would be
useful in enough cases that I think we should add this tool.

	--asp