a crude method of limiting long-prefix propagation

Joel M. Halpern joel at longsys.com
Mon Mar 26 17:47:16 UTC 2001

Using Exclude is better under certain topological conditions.

The primary condition is when the point where the disparate paths are
exquivalent (in an AS sense) is such taht a reasonably large number of AS
need the multiple advertisements

and

where topologically there are a relatively small number  of boundary AS who
only need the aggregation, and will take of further distribution of the
aggregated information.

The purpose is to have an alternative mechanism to limit how many AS one
must include in the distribution list.  You or Yakov are probably in a
better position than I to see if the topology would actually make it
useful.  It just seems that some knob for the more remote case might well
be helpful.  [Remote of course has nothing to do with geography.  In some
metros, there are be several AS between facilities two blocks apart.]

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern