a crude method of limiting long-prefix propagation

Joe Abley jabley-ietf at automagic.org
Fri Mar 23 08:05:56 UTC 2001

Ah, I sent that out slightly prematurely:

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 02:30:17AM -0500, Joe Abley wrote:
> 3.2 Towards the Other Edge
>
>    ASes which support this convention must include additional clauses in
>    their advertisement policy to all neighbour ASes, as follows:
>
>    o  When announcing prefixes to AS A: if the community attributes
>       EPPC_ALLOW:0 and EPPC_ALLOW:A are both present, then delete the
>       EPPC_ALLOW:A community, and then advertise the prefix.

In fact, I don't think there is any need to delete the :A community
attribute. That was something we were using for an earlier idea, where
we were considering using an empty set of EPPC_ALOW:X attributes to
signal the end of the propagation scope.

We didn't wind up doing that, and it makes sense to keep all the
attributes intact so that they can be observed for troubleshooting
purposes.

Joe