most current version

john heasley heas at shrubbery.net
Thu Mar 15 23:57:24 UTC 2001

Wed, Mar 14, 2001 at 04:45:21PM -0800, Randy Bush:
> > if i produce 0/23 out of 0/24 and 1/24, i have to retain both of those /24's
> > so if either is withdrawn i know the aggregate is crap and i have to tell
> > my neighbor.
>
> not necessarily.  i am your receiving neighbor, and i may not be willing to
> pay the cost so i can reach some of your base when your network is farbled.
> why should the cost of your unreliability be passed on to me?

b/c you have a business obligation to your customers.  if a prefix is
reachable w/o aggregation, it should continue to be reachable in the case
that aggregation is no longer valid.  what happens if route that was once
contributor to an aggregate changes legitimately?  do i now have to
clear sessions in order to regain the lost information, or do i have to
rely upon my neighbor supporting 'remote soft-clear' feature of ORF?